Sunday, August 25, 2019

On Leadership

Leadership. I have always thought that leadership skills are only for 1) People who want to be leaders. 2)
People who are leaders. 3) People who are in management or leadership position. In recent times,
somehow a thought came through my mind ever since I had been listening to motivational
speeches/podcasts.

Take charge of my life.

Ever since both cat and me have announced that we are getting married end of the year and have
embark on the numerous things an engaged couple should do, it has been a whirlwind and decisions
have to be made consistently. In a way, it does take the romance out of the relationship as we need to
decide and budget and all the logical stuffs while thinking of the wedding and preparations.

Ever since the turn of the year, I have been just going with the currents if I were to put it metaphorically.
It’s draining definitely. Then gout happens, colleagues are leaving BNP, economy doesn’t seem to be
well. Such incidents are like rocks you bump into and rolled by while the current brings you downstream.

So why leadership?

A leader is someone that takes charge and be responsible for his team or own actions. Someone who
provides the direction of the ship. The Capitan. The Head Honcho. 2 words stand out here. Takes Charge
and Be Responsible. I think why now leadership is also because due to the many decisions that I had to
make this year and I am responsible for cat’s life decisions too. So I have to lead Cat now unlike in the
past where I can be selfish and avoid or divert these decisions away from myself.

I believe I have all along been someone who is adverse to making and committing to decisions. Well, to
put it harshly, I am always looking for excuses to not make decisions. Especially hard ones. I will just
plain avoid and then let others decide instead. But it became to dawn to me that if its decisions related
to cat and me. No one else will be able to decide for us, and also some decisions may not be aligned
with our interests as well. So to put it bluntly, the reason probably why I had bouts and blogposts over
these 2 years were down to excuses and a lack of leadership on my part.

Courage is part of leadership.

One of the things that I consistently berate myself for is the lack of courage. I am ham chi. Cat and I
kinda know that part already. In some ways, courage is a part of leadership. Courage to take on the
responsibility. Courage to make the call at that given point of time.

Conclusion is that I now have to be improve on my leadership. Change my mindset and work towards to
be a good leader. For cat and for my life. Think in terms of a leader and how to maximize my potential.

No comments: