Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Breaking Free of this Enclosure

Today, was on the bus with jianyang, and we were just chatting about our APEC volunteering. He told me that he met this malaysian guy who was helping out at APEC. As they chatted, the guy told him that he wants to come to Singapore to work and stuff, its because that the malaysian government is really biased towards the malays. (its in their constitution btw) Then, it was real difficult to carve out a career in malaysia and stuff. He told jy that he is willing to sacrifice to break out of this unfair treatment and he uprooted his entire family to singapore. He sold everything in malaysia( he was staying in a condo. btw) and shifted to a flat here on our sunny island.

"Break Out"...this few words struck me. The idea of break out first occur to me when I was introduced to the book "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by my mum when I was in J1. I would have to say that kiyosaki wrote in a very engaging manner and that it sort of like gives me that this is the way to go...its so easy. But of course, it never was. His notion was to break out of the rat race. It is this very circle that traps most of us in our day to day mundane life. Wake up. work.tv. and the cycle continues all over again, and soon one will retire...Sounds tragic hur...actually everyone wants to achieve that, but it ain't easy, seriously. This idea of breaking out of the rat race, also signify going against social norms. It involves going against what society(consists of friends/loved ones/media) felt was right. And particularly for me, it is rather difficult to be a loner...haha...unlike JY=P...I meant it is hard to ignore the norms and go and do what only you believed is right? This is the brick-wall.

Yesterday, watched Randy Paush's last lecture on youtube, I think its really inspirational and all. I got the book before I watch the video, but watching him giving the speech is a totally different experience. It's all about living your childhood dreams and eventually the head fake, was about how to live life. His book has more stuff compared to the lecture that he gave though, so you might want to consider. If you all want to read, I can lend you as well.=)




No comments: