Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Final Journey

The last night of the wake, I stayed awake the entire night. Making sure that cats dont go near the coffin and making sure the joss sticks are still burning. There are times where I will be stoning around and wrestle with notions about death,time, rituals,pride and the realities of the world. The following morning, we did the last rites,and just at the last moments, a moth came down and circle around us. From my eldest cousin to my youngest uncle and finally landed on my eldest uncle head. Now some of you guys may not buy it, but my family firmly believes that my ah gong came back as a moth. Then it was time for sending the coffin off, it drizzles slightly, and we walk with the coffin and my dad and uncles pushes the van. My dad started crying loudly, and my other uncles started sobbing, but by then, the moth had already flown away. It was a silent ride to Mandai Crematorium, held a last ritual and then we went to the viewing room where the coffin was sent to the burning area. Everyone cried and sobbed...and then we went back before heading back to Mandai again to collect the ashes. And to place it at the tablet located in one of the blocks. During the transferring process of the remains to the urn, all of us had to take a piece of his remains and place it inside. And when there is not enough space, the shi fu use a pounder to pound the remains into smaller pieces. After that, we took the urn to the final resting place, and did the last rituals and all. And thats the end.

Therein ends a man's life. The final closure of a person's stay on earth and to wherever the next realm is.For the living? Its a time to mourn, to reflect to cherish and to acknowledge something that is known as mortality.

No comments: