Thursday, September 10, 2009

What is Real, What is Fake?


In today's 'Mind Your Body' section of the Straits Times, there is this every fortnightly article written by a psychologist, and he explores various issues regarding our mind and the subconscious. Its about how our memory and even our five senses make mistakes. Like the author put in one The Beatle's song, he heard 'I buried... paul' whereas the actual words are 'cranberry sauce'. This shows that due to certain preconceptions that we humans have can alter one's perceptions. Another interesting example is scientists prepared a stack of cards of which there is a black four of hearts(4<3)and other kind of anomalies, we know this is wrong right? The scientists got people to come and find the wrong card in a selected period of time, the people named the wrong cards as being normal cards like the black 4<3 as 4 spades. Later when the scientists gave them a much longer time to examine the cards. Some managed to find the faults, but there are some who took 40 times more than the average person to find them.

Now I find this piece of article kinda intriguing, because it is saying that our minds can play tricks on us. Even our senses can be totally wrong. So is it wrong to follow our gut feeling or rather intuition then?? Well, I am more of the IDEALIST kind in some psychological survey about my character and apparently I am the kind that always follows my gut feeling in a lot of decisions and situations, isn't that make me the kind that will make a ton of mistakes due to my preconceptions about things? What if my preconceptions have clouded my judgement? my gut feeling ? That sounds like a huge problem isn't ?=) And the solution is....I DONT KNOW. HAHA..seriously, cuz it seems that to avoid such a problem is that one should adopt a totally logical and rationale approach to life right? Well...though I am an advocate for rational approach to many things, I am also a strong believer in the intangibles side of life as well. ie feelings between one another, bond and ties between friends and family members.

On hindsight, there had been various cases about me making the wrong calls as well as wrong moves due to my false preconceptions of things. Like when in the past, when muddy did some actions or comments, I lapped it up immediately and saw it in a totally different perspective from her. Which brings me to a point, where I assumed that it got to be that, but in actual fact, from her point of view, its nothing to even begin with. Or to put it in some way, I regard her as MTF(though now I not so sure lah), but she regard me as JGF.A philosopher once said, " to be happy, one must have no expectations" , in other words to be reach the so call goal which in this case is happiness, one must be able to see through the preconceptions that might have come with the goal which in this case is expectations of the meaning happiness.

Now if u ask me, why I bother to go thru this article and its motions...haha maybe its because to console myself? or to make myself a more carefree person?...maybe its because of her?...lolz...one can never truly comprehend the true intentions of someone when it comes to relationships between people. So I think what I am trying to say here is, try to not let preconceptions cloud your thinking and
rationality at times but do not be sad when you err, because which humans don't err.=)

No comments: