Sunday, June 05, 2011

Analysis Paralysis

I chanced upon this term while reading a book last week. So was just reading about the definition on it. It happens when one over-analyze a situation , so that no decision is ever made thus paralyzing the outcome. I think I am guilty of such paralysis a lot of times, when I start to think of all possible outcomes that eventually, I do not know which one to choose and ends up not doing anything. I like a particular story I read while searching the definition.


Its an Aesop's Fable, where the fox boasts hundred ways of escaping whereas the cat only has one. So when the hounds came hunting, the cat climbed the tree while the fox was thinking what sort of method should he used. Needless to say, the fox was killed. Moral of the story is " Better to have one safe way rather than a hundred which you cannot reckon."


So are you guilty of analysis paralysis as well?

No comments: