Wednesday, April 04, 2012

On nature

For some reasons, I am very very drawn towards nature. I always yearn for the wide and open spaces of a plateau, the loud crashes of the sea waves on the beaches, the rustling of the leaves whenever the wind blows, the ever changing hues of colours. And the list goes on. Do any of you notice them? Maybe its my character, the kind of person that even if I went past or done something before, but there will be times where I will be like " wow...its still beautiful", or why didn't i notice it before?".

Sometimes it could also be the small and narrow minded thinking of being in singapore, and that's why I yearn for such wide spaces. I can never forget a scene in Blue Mountains, Sydney.

Back in 2004, I had the privilege of having an outdoor hiking trip in the blue mountains. Its my first outdoor trip, and me being a nerd/geek/ city boy, all these strenuous activities quite something for me. I vividly remember this scene. It was the 3rd day of hiking and now we are moving up slope, so it was tougher, I can still remember wei ren behind me and kept saying " lets keep going, lets keep going" like in the finding nemo movie. Then there was this huge canopy of trees that cover most of the sunlight which was cool-ling since its pretty hot. Suddenly, in front, people were cheering and saying that its near the end, and then utter silence. As I was wondering why, I too reach the spot where this phenomenal happens. Let me describe to you, in front of me was like some kind of hedge of plants and vines that had grown onto the fences so there is this short steps where one can climb over. Keeping in mind, the lighting was still quite dark due to the canopy and once you cross the steps, there is this blinding light. So being tired as I was, my head was hanging downwards. As I made my way through the steps and crossed across. The wind blows strongly, I shade my eyes from the blinding sun, and in front of me was a sight that I can never ever forget. Hills rolling besides each other, the valley of mountains in the distance, and the colourful flowers that were all around us. Red, purple, blue and yellow...all moving according to where the wind blows. Everyone that crossed, were just silent. There were no need for sounds, nature has taken it away from us and in return, exchange with such breath-taking scenery,

Ever since then, like a sindarin elf that once heard the ocean( LOTR trivia), I can never get that feeling out of my soul. Singapore also have their own sights and scenery, places like at Promontory near the Marina Financial Centre. It never fails to take my breath away, whenever, I am feeling down or lost. I would always turn up there and take in the sights and feel the wind blowing. Its really an awesome place.

No comments: