Thursday, April 26, 2012

POPO

Today, as I was leaving my Popo house, I was waiting at the lift door( its the new upgrade so now the lift is just at my grandma's floor). So, I was waiting for the lift after saying goodbye, so once the door opens, I was about to enter. A word " be careful" in chinese, my grandma said. I didn't realise that she still haven't enter the house yet and was waiting for me to enter the lift.

For a moment, I felt  really blessed and lucky. I always treasure the times at my grandma's place ever since I stopped staying there everyday since since sec 2. As I grew older, scoldings were less,these days simple conversations like food prices and the fantastic bargains that she was able to get on her shopping trips. Seriously, she is a great bargain hunter...really. Everytime, I head to her place, just simple conversations like this, sometimes I don't really talk much cuz I was thinking about other things. Still I treasure the 20 minutes there. 

There were a lot of times, where we take our grandparents for granted. Just like how my grandma was watching at me just now, and waited for me to enter the lift. I felt a bit guilty as well, and think what I can do to be better.

I guess thats what people say about family. It sort of gives you the warm and fluffy feeling inside of you at times.  I think I am a kinda pessimist by nature, and my first instinct in all my reactions are negative or the worst that things can happen. So everytime, I go to Popo hse, for a while, I let go those emotions. Because, ever since witnessing first hand how my paternal grandad passed away, my world and how I treat my family especially my grandparents kinda changed. I told myself that for these 20 mins I will try to be present and connect with my popo...I cant really talk with my gong gong, cuz not that close in the beginning, but will help him if he ever needs some help translating letters. 

I guess its only when one grows up and encounter death first hand, then one really cherishes the people around them. Like the saying goes, till one feels pain, one will never learn. 

No comments: